We put Born To Please in at Wincanton on Wednesday 26th February but it’s surprisingly oversubscribed so as it stands it doesn’t look like she will get a run. We will have to wait until declaration to know for sure. We will have to have another look at the calendar.
Gifted Dreamer who was part of the Nursery last year has been down with me all winter. He didn’t sell at the sales and we didn’t really know what to do with him, so we thought we’d have another go with him. He’s been training quite well and it’s time to get him back to the track. We didn’t really feel enough confidence to syndicate him out so we might as well run him in the Club for now, though he might not be a long term horse like the rest of them. He ran over a mile last year and because of a wind problem he didn’t quite see the trip out. I think his wind has improved a bit and his state of mind plays a part; the calmer he is the more chance he will breathe properly. I’ve decided to start him off in a 6 furlong apprentice race next Wednesday 26th February. It might be a bit sharp for him but at least he will run with his head down and he shouldn’t get in a fight with whoever rides him. If he is very outpaced we will go up a in trip a furlong at a time and hopefully find his best trip (or if he’s any good!).
Unfortunately Gifted Dreamer isn’t guaranteed to get in at Kempton on Wednesday. I was pretty confident before as only 4 above him need to come out for him to get in. In most low grade handicaps the chances would be good but because it’s an apprentice race and it’s not a very strong contest I can see most horses running. We will have to keep our fingers crossed because I’d like him to run.
We’ve made an entry for Bird To Love at Chelmsford on Thursday 27th February. It’s over 10 furlongs which we think is prefect for her. She has come back into season since her last run though so we will have to see how she is closer to the race.
Finally we put Born To Please in at Newbury on Saturday 29th February as a backup if she doesn’t get into the Wincanton race, which I don’t think she will. It’s a higher grade race at Newbury but we don’t mind that; it just depends how many entries there are in it and whether she gets in on the bottom end. We will know more when the entry comes out.
Lots of if’s and but’s in there so if could either be a very good week for the Club or a very bad one!